One of the things people always want to know more about in Q&A’s for my films is the fact that my family and I completely unplug from all technology one day a week, something we call our “Technology Shabbats.” Every Friday night, we all unplug from all of our technologies and don’t turn them on again until Saturday evening. Unplugging for a day makes time slow down and makes me feel more present with my family. I not only appreciate this quality time with them, but it has also made me appreciate technology in a whole new way. By Saturday night we can’t wait to plug back in.
The idea of taking one day a week off from responsibilities and work is a very, very, very old idea. I think today with all potential of the internet we also need to know when to “not” be online. We’ve explored this idea in many of our films including, Brain Power and Yelp: With Apologies to Allen Ginsberg’s Howl, which is a re-writing of Allen Ginsberg’s classic poem Howl about our addiction to technology and the importance of unplugging.
I explore this idea further in both Season 1 and Season 2 of our Emmy-nominated AOL original series, The Future Starts Here...
March 1, 2013 Harvard Business Review- Tech’s Best Feature: The Off Switch, by Tiffany Shlain
Articles about my Technology Shabbats:
- CBS News - In digital age, where do parents set boundaries?
- Huffington Post - Filmmaker Tiffany Shlain Discusses Her Family’s ‘Technology Shabbat’ (VIDEO)
- Fast Company- Instead of a Digital Detox, Why Not Take a Weekly Tech Shabbat?
- Reading by Example- Most Memorable Blog Posts of the Year – 2013
- Martschenko Markenberatung- Technology Shabbat – My weekly break from the art
- Good.is: Connecting Broadly Won’t Replace the Importance of Connecting Deeply
Baltimore Jewish Times: Lost in Translation
- JWeekly: In ‘crazybusy’ era of always being in touch, are we losing touch?
- Oregon Live: A Tech Sabbath offers a chance to unplug, recharge
- Huffington Post: National Day of Unplugging: Can You Spend 24 Hours Offline?
- Huffington Post: National Day Of Unplugging: A Family Dinner Table Talk
- Digital Journal: Exclusive Live Stream Event: Top Visionaries, Scientists Explore …
- SFGate: Tuning out technology: Pressures of the world drive some to cut back on e-mail and electronic gadgets
- Tech Cocktail: Webby Awards Founder Tiffany Shlain: “The Internet’s in its Toddler Years”
- Scientific American: The Reading Brain in the Digital Age: Why paper still beats screens
More Films & Videos:
Technology Shabbats are a recurring theme in many of my films and talks, here are just a few that mention my family's Shabbats and how they've changed our life: